Æ’s paleontology team has a successful track record of providing high-quality paleontological resource management services for a variety of project types, including residential and commercial development, power generation and transmission, oil and gas infrastructure, roadways and trails, and environmental planning. Our staff have successfully completed hundreds of paleontological inventory and compliance monitoring projects throughout California and the western United States.
Æ’s paleontology program offers a full range of services including museum records searches and literature reviews, field surveys and assessments, construction monitoring, fossil collection and data recovery, laboratory preparation and technical analyses, museum curation, and technical reporting.
Æ’s paleontology staff hold numerous paleontological resource permits issued by federal agencies such as the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and the U.S. Forest Service (USFS). Specifically, key members of the Æ paleontology program hold BLM Statewide Paleontological Use Permits in California, Nevada, Colorado, Arizona, and Utah. Æ is approved by many counties throughout California to conduct paleontological resource investigations and maintains excellent working relationships with major museum repositories across California, including the San Bernardino County Museum, the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, the San Diego Museum of Natural History, and the University of California Museum of Paleontology, among others. Our paleontologists adhere closely with the professional standards set forth by the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology and are active members of the scientific community.
With years of experience conducting paleontological studies for a wide array of projects, our paleontologists have a practical knowledge of the processes of the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), and various other laws and regulations governing paleontological resources We have coordinated extensively with federal agencies such as the BLM and the USFS; state agencies such as the California Energy Commission and California Department of Transportation; and numerous local city and county municipalities. Our experienced team has a demonstrated ability to provide quality work on schedule and produce readable technical documents.
- Matrix Sampling and Microfossil Picking
- Fossil Laboratory Preparation and Analysis
- Specimen Identification, Cataloging, and Museum Curation
- Paleontological Mitigation Monitoring, and Discovery Plans
- Stand-alone Paleontological Resources Inventory and Monitoring Reports, Paleontological Sections of Environmental Planning Documents, and Peer Reviews
- Museum Records Searches and Literature Reviews
- Desktop Paleontological Studies
- Field Surveys and Assessments
- GIS Mapping of Areas of Paleontological Sensitivity
- Fossil Locality Documentation and Recordation
- Construction Monitoring
- Microfossil and Macrofossil Salvage